Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Final Exam For Clinicals

   I'm not sure why I was so nervous about my finals for Clinicals. Maybe I was just worried about having to retake the class. I mean how many times can I learn how to take vitals and the proper technique for injections before I'm bored out of my mind? As it is this stuff plagues me in my sleep. But, the point was I was nervous. We were to answer one hundred sixty two questions on the written portion of the exam. Followed on the next day by the practicals, a hands on exam. The written portion consisted of questions about Pediatrics, ECG's, and Intradermal, Intramuscular, and Subcutaneous injections just to name a few topics. Ofcourse, it didn't help that I waited hours before the exam to begin studying. That is so like me, waiting until the last minute to do things. But my mentalitly was this way the information would be fresh in my mind. I must have been onto something, afterall, I had been getting nothing but A's on all my exams. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but damn I'm good!
   Seven o'clock came around sooner than expected, that's when my class begins. I made my way into class still going over the material in my head. The students were all sitting at the tables in their prefered groups, just like in highschool. Jocks with jocks, the pretty girls at the vain table, there was even a table for the nerds, which is where I sat. What? I like to learn! The instructor started with the usual routine of telling everybody to put away their belongings, especially our cell phones. Cheating was not permitted and would lead to an automatic fail. And he reminded us that if we don't pass this exam, we don't pass the class and would have to retake it, at cost. Go figure.
   The exam was handed out, which I quickly began to work at like a starving vulture picking at the remains of a rotting carcass. One by one I answered the questions, astonished at the ease at which the answers came to me. Until finally I bubbled in the final answer on the scantron. Done. I got up from my seat surveying the students still racking their brains for the anwers they just couldn't remember. I realized that as usual, I was the first to complete my exam. The instructor adviced me that he would not be grading the exam until everybody had finished. Sounded like a good time to take a ciggerette break.
   I walked out onto the sitting area outside the building which consisted of a few metal tables and benches that looked like they needed a new coat of paint. I sat at the nearest and took out a ciggerete. I could feel the tension leave my body with each inhale I took from it. A few minutes later some of the other students began to wander out with worried expressions on their face. They started asking eachother how they thought they did or what they got a on a particular question. Which ofcourse no one had the same answer.
   Finally the instructor emerged and asked everybody back into class. The exams had been graded. Again I felt that pull at my stomach meaning my nerves were getting the best of me. Had I passed the exam? I found myself praying that I had. The instructor called the students in one by one into his dark, little office to relay their test scores. Everytime a student would come back out I would scan their face for any clue on how well or poorly they did. Until finally, I heard my name uttered from that dreaded room. I stood up and made my way over, not forgetting to cross my fingers for luck. Please let it be good news! I found the instructor sitting at his desk with my exam in his hand.
  
   "How do you think you did, Miguel?" my instructor inquired with a smug grin on his face.
  
   "Whatever, Tony. Just give me my grade, I'm nervous enough as it is!" I responded.
  
   He laid out my scantron on his desk implying I could see my grade. I just about pounced at it, scanning it for my grade. 94%. Relief. I had passed with an A!
  
   "Why were you so nervous? You know you got this shit. Estas Chingona!" joked my instructor Tony. He had made it a habit of reffering to me as a female since the only other gay guy in class, Abe, insisted on being called Ma'am on account that he dressed as a woman on the weekends.
  
   "I don't know what I'm more relieved about Tony. The fact that I passed, or the fact that I won't have to give you head for extra credit anymore!"
  
   "Pinche Miguel!" was all he managed to say, thrown off balance from my comment. "Maybe next time I'll make your test harder."
  
   "I like it when things get harder." I joked, obviously relieved now that I knew I had passed.
  
   I made my way back into the classroom giving a thumbs up to my friends at the table to let them know I had passed. I couldn't help but smile. I had finished Clinicals, finally. I grabbed my backpack and made my way out of the classroom and towards my car. I quickly updated my status on the social networks I spend hours on to let my other friends know the good news.
   I lit another cigerette as I buckled my seatbelt on. This definately deserves a beer. I decide to stop at the Circle K on the corner for a Tecate tallboy before heading home.

1 comment:

  1. Good deal, Miguel. You are on your way - to what? Hell if I know, but you're going...

    ReplyDelete