Thursday, January 5, 2012

Escaping into La Sierra


The vehicles all around me began to spring back to life, with their motors in an uproar. People running to and fro seeking out their loved ones and traveling companions. Grinding their cigarettes into the dirt before diving back into their seats, adjusting their rearview mirrors and snapping their seatbelts back into place. The road it would appear, had finally been opened, and everyone was scrambling about trying to be the first ones out of this hell hole we had all been stuck in for far too long. I felt relief overcome me as I closed the book I had been reading for the past couple of hours now. After spending a night and the better half of a day here in Janos, I was more than eager to hit the road again. I turned all about seeking Helio in the crowds who had left a few minutes ago to purchase another pack of cigarettes. He appeared shortly thereafter, emerging from the clouds of dust the cars peeling off left behind. He jumped into the car with cigarettes in hand and a smile on his face. Apparently, he was just as eager to get going as I was. He started the car and sped towards the road which reminded me of a trail of marching ants, given the amount of cars all driving out in a single line. Helio turned on the radio and selected one of the many tunes we had downloaded for this trip, mainly all house music. You know, the kind of music you listen to when you’re high on ecstasy at the club. I lit a cigarette from the new pack Helio just purchased and let myself get carried away by the music. I was too happy to care about making a fool of myself, dancing in my seat. We were finally leaving Janos, that was reason enough to dance!
The sun was hanging midway across the sky as it usually does at noon, hidden by the few solitary clouds that remained. The winds had calmed down considerably from this morning, yet there still was a coldness that lingered.  We zoomed down the highway, taking the left lane for oncoming traffic to pass sluggish drivers up ahead, determined to make up for lost time. We had spent about twelve hours in Janos, twelve hours we couldn’t get back on a drive that was going to take twenty hours more or less. So you can understand why driving considerably above the speed limit seemed not such a bad idea. The drive was going smoothly as we left the sad town of Janos behind us. It would seem the worst had past, but you know appearances can be deceiving. And so it was on this occasion, for when we reached the base of the mountain, we were forced to come to a complete stop yet again.

A never ending line of vehicles, most likely the ones who just fled Janos, had formed along the road through the mountain. We tried to look up ahead, but given that the road was a winding entanglement cutting through said mountain, our sight was blocked off by massive walls of stone. What I didn’t realize at that point was that the road ahead had its fair share of broken down semis and the traffic had to be alternated to get as much of us through at a time as possible.  So what would normally be about 40 minutes of road, turned out to be 3 hours of stop and go traffic.
The temperature dropped more and more the further we climbed the mountain in the languid traffic. The trees and bushes that covered the trail were blanketed in a layer of snow that appeared to be made of alabaster and the road glistened with the layer of ice it was dressed in. The once barren sky was now filled with lazy clouds dragging themselves across from one end to the other. Time seemed to stop completely here, very much like the flow of traffic. The only good thing to come of this agonizing wait was I now had the opportunity to take in the breath taking view. Making sure to burn these images into memory so that I would not soon forget them. Helio however seemed to be less than happy with the situation and gave away his unease by the way he would fidget in his seat. I found it rather amusing to be quite honest, but I wasn’t about to mention it to him.

The road went on in its serpent like shape, winding this way and that with its numerous signs constantly reminding us of the dangerous curves we were to surpass up ahead. The icy road seemed that more dangerous once I realized there were no guardrails to keep us from plummeting off the side of the mountain. Nothing but air and the free fall down to our certain deaths if we as so much as blinked in the wrong moment. Yes, those dangerous curves that were all that much more menacing as we had to move closer to the edge for semis driving in the opposite direction to make their wide turns. I found myself praying for some unknown god’s blessing so that we would make it across safely.
We reached the highest point of the mountain about an hour later where I got off the car too take in the view. I was so dazzled by it all that I even ignored the cold winds nipping at my face. Artists could not paint such a stunning scene even if they tried. The lands of Mexico stretched far beyond what the eye could see. Fields of green and amber bathing in the sun, the same sun that ignored the many of us stuck on this mountain. Just barely escaping the freezing clutches of the cold weather that chased after us now. I was glad the traffic was so horrible, if it hadn´t been I most likely would not have been standing there and missed the entire beauty of it all.

Soon enough we started on our decent of the mountain which wasn’t proceeding much quicker than the climb. But at least we knew we had the worst part behind us now. We passed more of the deceased semis on our way down and were lucky enough to be on the side of the road that the officers were letting go through. I noticed that the line of traffic coming from the opposite direction was just as bad, no end to be seen. As we started to reach the opposite foot of the mountain I felt the sudden change of climate. The wind here was alleviating as it was warm and brought promises of the beautiful weather Mexico had to offer. No more of the ruthless cold back home.
We drove on, finally picking up momentum as the mountain became just a memory soon enough. The vehicle pushing on through the highway whose path had been cut through stone in some places. The trees here grew in their entire green splendor with no frost to devour their leaves and even the birds seemed to bask in the warmth the sun’s golden beams brought. I was delighted to say the least and relieved now that I could enjoy the drive for a change.

By the time we reached the town of Agua Prieta, I had already shed my sweater and warm ups very much like a snake that sheds its skin. We realized that we were almost out of gasoline and decided to make a pit stop to fill up. Agua Prieta was a town build on either side of the main road, with many dirt paths leading to the multicolored homes that are so common in Mexico. But this town was further along with the current times as they at least had a Mc Donald’s and Subway along the way. We pulled into a local Pemex and as soon as we were topped off, we both took the time to check in with family members. Our stay in Agua Prieta was a short one, as we still had plenty of land to cover until we reached Sinaloa, Mexico. So as soon as we emptied our bladders and bought more refreshments, which included more smokes, we were on our way once again.
I pulled out my shades from the glove box as I lit yet another cigarette. I found myself amusing at the thought of me being this far into Mexico. Who would have thought? I know if a year ago you had mentioned to me I would be taking this voyage, I would have laughed in your face and written you off as mental. But yet here I was, on a trip into Mexico I would have never dreamed of taking. I took Helio’s hand in mine as we drove out of Agua Prieta, looking off into the horizon. Who knows what Mexico will have in store for me? But, I’ll tell you this, I sure as hell am eager to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment