Friday, August 26, 2011

Broken Pieces

Struggling,
Through the filth my life has become.
Tired, Oh so tired.
Desperate for a breath of fresh air,
A tiny hint of who I was before,
A reason to smile...
A reason to go on.
Broken pieces,
That is all that remains.
Broken pieces, and nothing more.

Chasing a memory,
Vague like smoke.
An endless pursuit of what once was mine.
If only I could catch it.
Snatch it! Right out of the air,
Then, and only then,
I know I could shed this rotting flesh,
Emerging as what I was really meant to be.
As who I long to be.

But instead,
I watch.
As my hopes and dreams are broken.
Plummeting to the floor,
Like dying butterflies.
Desperately, foolishly fluttering,
On the ground.
Until they´re smashed,
Beneath someone´s foot.
The color in their wings,
Trickling away,
Like blood from an open wound.

Life has carved it´s lessons,
Into my skin.
Scarring me.
Leaving traces.
So that I shall not soon forget,
Happiness comes with a price.
Or so I´ve been taught.

So, why fight against the current?
Let it´s icy dagger pierce my soul,
Once again.
Let it swallow me.
Imprison me.
In my lonely cell.
In my solitude,
To which I am so accustomed to by now.
Let me be lost.
The echo of a ghost.
For I am the only one who insists,
On fixing what is broken...

Broken pieces.
That is all that remains.
Broken pieces, and nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment